Updated March 23, 2020
In light of current events, we at Copper Oar Rafting want to reach out and let you know our response to COVID-19. We recognize that we cannot eliminate the risk of contracting the virus and that the ultimate decision to participate in our trips rests with our guests.
As of now, we will still be in operation for the 2020 summer season. We’re sensitive to the fact that travel restrictions may affect your reservations and travel plans and because of this, we want to ensure you that we will be honoring our lenient day trip cancellation policy and also making an addendum:
Your payment is fully refundable up to 48 hours prior to the start of the trip, so if anything comes up prior to that time call or email us to cancel your reservation for a full refund. Within 48 hours, there is no refund for cancellations*. In the rare event that we have to cancel a trip due to dangerous conditions, you will be notified and receive a full refund.
*If you are unable to travel due to official government travel restrictions, a full refund will be given within 48 hours of your trip.
For our multi-day trips, we’ve updated our cancellation policy to the following:
We will continue to charge a $500 per person deposit (or $1,000 per person for packages and mountaineering trips) at the time of booking. 50% of your deposit will be refundable prior to 30 days before the trip should you need to cancel. Cancellations in this time-frame may also choose to apply the full deposit to a future trip in the next two summers (2020, 2021, 2022). We will collect the balance 30 days before the start of the trip.
*If you are unable to travel due to official government travel restrictions still in place by the date of your trip and need to cancel within the 30-day mark, we will refund you 50% of the total payments you made and keep 50% as a credit to use for a future trip in the next two summers (minus any cancellation fees incurred by other vendors). Cancellations in this time-frame may also choose to apply the full payment (minus any cancellation fees incurred by other vendors) to a future trip in the next two summers (2020, 2021, 2022).
We have never charged any rebooking or cancellation fees and don’t plan on starting now! We understand that it’s probably the current uncertainty that is keeping you away and that your love for Alaska will persuade you to complete the trip you’ve already worked so hard to plan. If you currently have a booking and are interested in transfering it to a future date, just let us know and we’ll be happy to rebook you to later this summer or even to a future year! If you’re not sure when you will return but would like to support our business, we can convert your booking into a gift card to be used at a later date in the next two summers! Again, no extra fees will be applied for rebooking or gift card conversions.
Our management team will continue to monitor the ongoing pandemic and encourage safe practices as outlined by the CDC. Here are a few websites that we thought you might find helpful:
- Google has a list of airlines that offer flexible cancellation policies.
- Alaska Airline’s page for any COVID-19 related policy changes.
- Ted Stevens International Airport’s (Anchorage Airport you’re likely flying into) page on policy updates.
- Coronavirus.gov contains up-to-date information on the state of COVID-19 in the U.S. and best practices for moving forward.
We will continue to update this page with any policy, logistical or schedule changes we make, if and when we make them. If you already have a reservation with us, we will contact you directly via email if there are updates that may affect your reservation.
We find the remote wilderness that surrounds McCarthy and Kennecott to be peaceful and restorative and truly hope that you are able to join us this summer in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park to experience it for yourselves!