— Full-Day Root Glacier Hike —
- Price: $130 adult/$110 child
- Trip Length: 8 hours
- Difficulty: Medium – adventurous people in good condition
- Dates: Offered daily at 9am from May 25th to September 8th, 2019. Custom/private trips available – inquire with us for details! Custom times may be available.
- Photo Gallery
- Trip Itinerary
- Equipment List
- Trip Logistics
The Best Day Hike in Alaska!
For those travelers who are craving adventure and wish to explore the glacier without time constraints, this is the hike for you. The full day hike allows for ample time to explore all the amazing wonders of the Root Glacier with your experienced guide. This is a great opportunity to travel further across the glacier, to areas not accessible during the half-day hike. Later in the season, there may even be opportunities to explore ice caves on or under the glacier.
- A full day of exploring some of the most beautiful glacial terrain in Alaska
- Small group sizes – no more than 6 hikers with one guide!
- The opportunity to hike across the glacier to Dohono Falls, where you can see a huge waterfall plunge under the edge of the glacier
- The chance to visit ice caves on or under the glacier, experiencing the thrill of being surrounded by surreal blue ice
The trip begins from our office in historic Kennecott, where your guide will outfit you with crampons, and make sure you have all the necessary gear for your day out on the ice. From there, it’s a 1.8 mile hike to the white ice of the glacier. The rest of your day can be spent exploring the rivers, blue pools, canyons, and waterfalls of the Root Glacier. Definitely the best glacier hiking trip in Alaska!
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!