— Half-Day Root Glacier Hike —
- Price: $105 adult/$85 child
- Trip Length: 4-6 hours
- Difficulty: Beginner – anyone excited for Alaskan wilderness!
- Dates: Offered daily at 9am from May 27th to September 11th, 2022. Other start times and/or custom/private trips available – inquire with us for details!
- Photo Gallery
- Trip Itinerary
- Equipment List
- Trip Logistics
The “Coolest” Hike in Alaska!
Come join us and experience the best glacier hiking in Alaska. At our office in historic Kennecott, you will meet your guides and get outfitted with crampons – metal spikes that fit to your shoes, enabling you to walk on ice with ease! Then you’ll head out on a 2-mile hike to the white ice of the Root Glacier, learning about glaciology and natural history along the way. When you reach the ice, you’ll receive expert instruction on how to walk in crampons, and then it’s time to explore!
Enjoy beautiful rivers, waterfalls, canyons, crevasses, and blue pools as you hike around this frozen landscape of ice. Out on the glacier, there is no set route, so you and your guide can head in whatever direction is most interesting to you. After a picnic lunch on the glacier (we’ll provide a pad to sit on), you’ll head back to the trail and return to Kennecott. You will be back in time to participate in the afternoon Kennecott Mill Tour or explore the historic town of Kennecott on your own.
- Great for anyone able to hike approximately 5 miles
- Blue pools, canyons, crevasses, and other beautiful ice formations
- Experienced guides who have detailed knowledge of glaciology, and local natural history
- Breathtaking views of the 7,000ft high Stairway Icefall and 16,391ft Mt. Blackburn
Are you unsure if this is the trip for you? Buy a Gift Card in advance, giving you the ultimate flexibility as you plan your Alaska adventure!
We encourage advanced reservations for all of our activities. If you’re planning on heading out to the Wrangells this summer, please make a reservation today! You can easily book online yourself by clicking the orange “Book This Trip” button on the left or give us a call and we’ll be happy to assist you!
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!