— Half-Day Root Glacier Hike —
- Price: $95 adult/$75 child
- Trip Length: 4-6 hours
- Difficulty: Beginner – anyone excited for Alaskan wilderness!
- Dates: Offered daily at 9am from May 25th to September 8th, 2019. Other start times and/or custom/private trips available – inquire with us for details!
- Photo Gallery
- Trip Itinerary
- Equipment List
- Trip Logistics
The “Coolest” Hike in Alaska!
Come join us and experience the best glacier hiking in Alaska. At our office in historic Kennecott, you will meet your guides and get outfitted with crampons – metal spikes that fit to your shoes, enabling you to walk on ice with ease! Then you’ll head out on a 2 mile hike to the white ice of the Root Glacier, learning about glaciology and natural history along the way. When you reach the ice, you’ll receive expert instruction on how to walk in crampons, and then it’s time to explore!
Enjoy beautiful rivers, waterfalls, canyons, crevasses, and blue pools as you hike around this frozen landscape of ice. Out on the glacier, there is no set route, so you and you guide can head in whatever direction is most interesting to you. After a picnic lunch on the glacier (we’ll provide a pad to sit on), you’ll head back to the trail and return to Kennecott. You will be back in time to participate in the afternoon Kennecott Mill Tour, or explore the historic town of Kennecott on your own.
- Great for anyone able to hike approximately 5 miles
- Blue pools, canyons, crevasses, and other beautiful ice formations
- Experienced guides who have detailed knowledge of glaciology, and local natural history
- Breathtaking views of the 7,000ft high Stairway Icefall and 16,394ft Mt. Blackburn
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!