— Half-Day Root Glacier Hike —
- Price: $95 adult/$75 child
- Trip Length: 4-6 hours
- Difficulty: Beginner – anyone excited for Alaskan wilderness!
- Dates: Offered daily at 9am from May 23rd to September 13th, 2020. Other start times and/or custom/private trips available – inquire with us for details!
- Photo Gallery
- Trip Itinerary
- Equipment List
- Trip Logistics
The “Coolest” Hike in Alaska!
Come join us and experience the best glacier hiking in Alaska. At our office in historic Kennecott, you will meet your guides and get outfitted with crampons – metal spikes that fit to your shoes, enabling you to walk on ice with ease! Then you’ll head out on a 2 mile hike to the white ice of the Root Glacier, learning about glaciology and natural history along the way. When you reach the ice, you’ll receive expert instruction on how to walk in crampons, and then it’s time to explore!
Enjoy beautiful rivers, waterfalls, canyons, crevasses, and blue pools as you hike around this frozen landscape of ice. Out on the glacier, there is no set route, so you and you guide can head in whatever direction is most interesting to you. After a picnic lunch on the glacier (we’ll provide a pad to sit on), you’ll head back to the trail and return to Kennecott. You will be back in time to participate in the afternoon Kennecott Mill Tour, or explore the historic town of Kennecott on your own.
- Great for anyone able to hike approximately 5 miles
- Blue pools, canyons, crevasses, and other beautiful ice formations
- Experienced guides who have detailed knowledge of glaciology, and local natural history
- Breathtaking views of the 7,000ft high Stairway Icefall and 16,394ft Mt. Blackburn
To keep in accordance with recent Alaska State mandates, we are requiring advanced reservations for all of our activities at this time. While in the past we have prided ourselves on always having availability for walk-ins, we are hopeful that this required measure will help continue to curb the spread of the virus as the state begins to open back up. So if you’re planning on heading out to the Wrangells this summer, please make a reservation today! You can easily book online yourself by clicking the orange “Book This Trip” button on the left or give us a call and we’ll be happy to assist you!
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!