— Kennecott Mill Tour —
- Price: $28 adult/$14 child
- Trip Length: 2 hours
- Difficulty: Beginner – anyone excited for Alaskan wilderness!
- Dates: Three times a day from May 23rd to September 13th, 2020: 9:30am, 1:30pm, and 3:30pm. Additional tour time of 11:30am from July 1st to August 15th, 2020. Custom times available for groups of 8 or more – please call ahead.
- Photo Gallery
- Trip Logistics
Step Back in Time!
Explore an Alaskan ghost town, frozen in time. In 1938, when the Kennecott Copper Corporation abandoned the town, they left behind a fascinating history full of perseverance, ingenuity, and discovery. Follow this story by joining us on a tour of the town, including the impressive 14-story copper processing mill**. The buildings still contain the original machinery used to process the copper ore, and our knowledgeable guides describe the processes as you “follow the path of the copper” through the town. As you walk through the townsite, you will hear tales of what life was like back then, living on the edge of the Alaskan frontier at the turn of the century!
- Tour inside the historic buildings, including the impressive 14-story concentration mill**
- Learn the fascinating story of discovering and mining one of the richest copper deposits in history
- Hear the amazing stories of the folks who lived and worked in this remote Alaskan wilderness
- See machinery, artifacts, and buildings as they were abandoned over 70 years ago
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!