— Kennecott Mill Tour —
- Price: $28 adult/$14 child
- Trip Length: 2 hours
- Difficulty: Beginner – anyone excited for Alaskan wilderness!
- Dates: Three times a day from May 27th to September 11th, 2022: 9:30am, 1:30pm, and 3:30pm. Additional tour time of 11:30am from July 1st to August 15th, 2022. Private tours are available upon request. Tours requiring a translator must be booked as a private tour.
- Photo Gallery
- Trip Logistics
Step Back in Time!
Explore an Alaskan ghost town, frozen in time. In 1938, when the Kennecott Copper Corporation abandoned the town, they left behind a fascinating history full of perseverance, ingenuity, and discovery. Follow this story by joining us on a tour of the town, including the impressive 14-story copper processing mill. The buildings still contain the original machinery used to process the copper ore, and our knowledgeable guides describe the processes as you “follow the path of the copper” through the town. As you walk through the townsite, you will hear tales of what life was like back then, living on the edge of the Alaskan frontier at the turn of the century!\
- Tour inside the historic buildings, including the impressive 14-story concentration mill**
- Learn the fascinating story of discovering and mining one of the richest copper deposits in history
- Hear the amazing stories of the folks who lived and worked in this remote Alaskan wilderness
- See machinery, artifacts, and buildings as they were abandoned over 70 years ago
Please note: this is not your typical history tour! This two-hour-long tour involves walking a mile, including a hiking trail up a steep hill with 150ft of elevation gain. Once in the buildings, you will navigate uneven floors, and descend multiple sets of stairs and ladders with handrails that are steep and uneven, with low headroom. If you are traveling with small children, please make sure that they can walk up and down steep stairs on their own or that you have a hands-free carrier for them. Our guides are happy to assist as needed! Please refer to the pictures below to see the steepest stairs in the Mill Building that you will go down. Contact us with any questions you may have about the difficulty of the tour!
Are you unsure if this is the trip for you? Buy a Gift Card in advance, giving you the ultimate flexibility as you plan your Alaska adventure!
We encourage advanced reservations for all of our activities. If you’re planning on heading out to the Wrangells this summer, please make a reservation today! You can easily book online yourself by clicking the orange “Book This Trip” button on the left or give us a call and we’ll be happy to assist you!
“A fantastic experience — wild Alaska at its best!”
Click on the markers below to view important points along your trip. Check out that zoom feature!